These are some of the most common FAQ’S when trying to determine if a Destination Wedding is right for you !
What is a Destination Wedding?
A destination wedding is when a couple decides they want to become partners in life in paradise with their guests by traveling to another city or country.
What is an elopement?
The traditional definition of an elopement is a wedding with just the bride and groom and done in secrecy and then is announced after the “I dos” only after they’ve taken place. Some couples will “elope” and maybe only have their parents and close family members.
Why a Destination Wedding?
A destination wedding is a great option to celebrate and enjoy family and friend over a whole week or longer in paradise. Or some couples might have been married before and now would like their second marriage smaller and stress free and maybe just the 2 of them. They can have their wedding & honeymoon and a much-needed vacation all at once.
How far in advance should planning begin?
Destinations weddings are very popular so travel dates and weddings dates book up fast, therefore planning should start at least 12-18 months in advance. This will also give the guests plenty of time to plan and save for the trip.
What are we looking at for cost of travel ?
The cost of travel for you and your guests will all vary based on when you travel, from what city you travel from, and what destination and resort you decide on. From Canada we have suppliers that offer all inclusive packages that include the flights, transfers and accommodations. During the peak winter travel months( Nov to Apr), they offer charter direct flights to destinations like Cuba, DR, Jamaica and the Pacific and Caribbean Mexico. When planning a wedding group the suppliers will offer discount group rates and added group promos such as complimentary travel which helps on the cost for you and your guests.
When should we travel?
If you are from Canada and want to escape the brutal cold winters then traveling during the peak times are the best for weather wise, however the rates are more costly during the mid December to March. If you can travel in October or November or April & May then the rates tend to be lower.
Keep in mind that Hurricane season is June to December.
What are we looking at for cost of the wedding packages?
As every resort offers different wedding packages and amenities it will vary and depend on your wedding vision as to what it will cost. Some resorts will offer complimentary weddings and private events based on your group size which will make the wedding ceremony and reception very economical.
How do we plan our wedding from aboard?
We will assist in contacting the wedding department and introduce you to the wedding planner. They are all well educated and experience coordinators. Have trust in them as that is their focus and they have been doing this for years. You will communicate with them over emails and phone. Most resorts will have a off-site wedding department where you will finalize all the details. then once you get closer to the wedding date you will be introduce to the on site wedding planner that will look after you once you at the resort.
What happens if there is bad weather on our wedding day?
The resorts will have a backup plan in case of unfavorable weather.
What are the legal requirements?
As all destination requirements are different. Please check out the Marriage Requirement page for a quick summary.
What about having a reception once we’re back home?
Yes, it is very popular to have a reception or a social theme party that resembles your wedding day like a Hawaiian Luau or a Mexico fiesta, this will allow those guest a chance to celebrate with you that could not make it to destination
What about travel insurance?
It is strongly recommend that you purchase travel insurance to protect yourself and your investment from the unexpected.
When do I send out Save-the-date, Invitations and Announcements?
I recommend to send your Save-the-dates as soon as you have narrowed down your destination and dates, this will give your guest an ideal of your wishes and they can start to plan for the occasion. (We will provide you with a Save the Date email invite to send to your guests). Invitations are sent once you have all the details confirmed. Announcements are sent after you are married.
Types of Ceremonies Options?
Most destination can offer and cater to everyone beliefs: Civil, Catholic, Symbolic & Spiritual. Mayan, Hindu & authentic India, Muslim and Sikh weddings. Renewal of Vows Ceremonies.
To simplify and save some expenses, couples are choosing to get legally married in Canada prior to their trip and then having a Symbolic Ceremony to still enjoy that Dream Destination Wedding without all the extra cost and requirements to have it legalize in destination.
Why book a destination wedding with Tammy Prost – Tropical Escapes Destination Weddings & Travel Inc.?
We are a full service certified destination wedding planning specialist, where my destination wedding couples and their guest are the main focus and receive full attention and dedication. As a beach bride, I know exactly now import and stress free the planning and wedding day needs to be for the couple and their guests. I have been assisting 100’s of couples with their dream wedding and group travel since 2000. I have a commitment, desire and a passion to make the planning and coordination of a destination Wedding as simple and stress-free as possible. Destination weddings require the planning of an experience travel advisor and an destination wedding specialist. That is one of the reasons that my husband and I try to renew our vows every other year. Not only do I get to re-marry my soul mate again and again in the most beautiful and romantic places. It also gives me a chance to experience the destinations and resorts, enjoy the culture, get acquainted with the wedding coordinators and become familiar with the marriage requirements. Why would you trust your dream to just anyone?
Question to ask the Travel Agent and Destination Wedding Specialist
Section A: Experience as a travel agent and destination wedding planner
1. How many destination weddings have you booked ? 200+
2. How many years have you been a travel agent ? Since 2000
3. How many years have you been a destination wedding specialist ? Since 2000
4. What is the largest group booking you have handled? 85 passengers
5. What professional organizations are you affiliated with? I am a Certified Travel Consellor – CTC
6. What programs, training and certifications have you completed? Travel Institutes Destination wedding & honeymoon specialist course becoming a certified Destination Wedding Specialist and I am always updating training on destination resorts at some of the top recommended resorts such as Hard Rock Hotels WOW & IWOW Specialist, Palace Pro weddings, AM Resort Mater Agent, Karisma GIVC GIHAS, Melia Wedding Specialist, RIU Specialist. Paul Gauguin Pearl agent. Marriage License Issuer, Travel Insurance Issuer
7. How are your fees / commissions paid? I receive my commissions from the tour operators and suppliers.
8. Do you charge any fees to your clients (consultation, booking, etc…)? No fees.
Section B: Travel Finances
1. What payment options are available when booking travel? Credit card is the only form of payment that will be accepted to purchase and confirm your travel arrangements. Deposits to hold arrangements, final payments and partial payments on credit cards can be arrange.
2. Describe deposits and payment schedules for travel and wedding. In order to be booked and confirmed you will be required to place a non-refundable deposit that is determined by the supplier. Every supplier and resort may have different payment schedules. This will be determined when receiving the prices and confirming the details. Deposits and payments for the wedding will be determined from the resort.
3. What are the cancellation fee and schedule for the wedding? Every resort will have their own cancellation fees and schedules, this will be determined when receiving the wedding packages from the wedding coordinator.
4. What are the cancellation fee and schedule for the travel portion? Every supplier has their own cancellation fees and schedules, this will be determined when receiving the prices.
5. What travel insurance is available and who is the provider? As a licensed travel insurance seller in Saskatchewan we can offer Manulife Travel Insurance to protect yourself and your travel investment.
6. What other expensive should we be aware of? Passports, travel insurance, travel vaccinations, advance seats selections, baggage fees, departure taxes, exit and entry tourist cards, resort fees, tours and excursion.
Section C: Customer Satisfaction
1. What is your typical response time for emails and phone calls? Phone calls and email are usually responded to within the same day, during business hours.
2.What should travelers do if they have an after-hours emergency while traveling? First, Contact the emergency phone # that is supplied by the tour operator. If you need more assistance, then I am always available.to assist.
3. What information do you provide to your clients for their trip prior to departure (i.e., list of contact numbers for each vendor, emergency numbers, etc…)? Contact numbers, destination details, tours and excursion options.
4. How do you go “above and beyond” for your clients? As a full-service Destination Wedding Specialist that dedicates full attention to my clients. I provide personal professional service. I have a commitment and passion to make sure that every bride and groom has their dream wedding and their guest have the perfect holiday experience. Ensuring a seamless, stress-free planning from the very first contact, thru-out the wedding and travel planning, during your travels and up till you return home.
We are looking forward to assisting you with your wedding away in paradise! Please feel free to complete the questionnaire to start planning your special day today! >>> Destination Wedding Questionnaire
If you should encounter any issues with the form please email me us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will email it out to you. Thank you!
We look forward to assisting you with your wedding away.
Tammy Prost – CDWS, CTC